This is a two-story building with a full basement that was built in 1913-1914. It was designed by a leading Alabama architect of the period, Frank Lockwood. He designed some of the most impressive and important buildings in the state. His designs include the Montgomery Federal Building and the wings of the Alabama State Capitol, as well as numerous other public and academic buildings throughout Alabama and dozens of churches and historic homes.
The Demopolis Public School system was established in 1901. This is the first school building built in Demopolis specifically for public education. It was the only public school for white students of Demopolis until 1937 when the high school was built. In 1937, the building was converted into a grammar school. In the 1970s, after the city established an integrated educational system, the building served as the city’s only junior high school. The Demopolis City School System discontinued using this building in June 1981. It now serves as the home of the theater group, the Canebrake Players. The Demopolis Public School building was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on October 28, 1983.
This building is located on Main Street at the corner of Main and Pettus Streets in Demopolis (GPS coordinates 32.510847,-87.838517).
Sources: 1) The Heritage of Marengo County Marengo prepared by the County Heritage Book Committee; 2) NRHP “Demopolis Public School” Nomination Form