The Coleman-Banks house, also known as the James Oliver Banks house, is the first of four antebellum homes at Eutaw, AL to have original colossal-order porticos. This house was built circa 1847 by George W. Shawver, owner of the Parapet Hotel. On the balcony spanning the front of the house is centered a doorway that matches the main entrance door. The floor plan is a classic four-over-four rooms with a circular stairway at the back of the center halls. As with other houses of this type, a relatively narrow top-floor room, often described as a “ball room”, extends across the width of the house. The only dependencies that remain at this home are a smokehouse and kitchen/wash-house. The house was photographed and recorded in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) in 1934. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on December 18, 1970.
This house is located on the SE corner of the intersection of Springfield Avenue and Pickens Street in Eutaw, AL (GPS coordinates 32.842994,-87.887589).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: Walking and Driving Guide to Historic Eutaw, Alabama, prepared by the Greene County Historical Society; 2) The Alabama Catalog, A Guide to the Early Architecture of the State, by Robert Gamble.
B&W photograph courtesy of the U. S. Library of Congress (HABS), photographer: W. N. Manning, date: April 3, 1934.