This historic church is located on the west side of Highway 43 in the community of Calvert at the intersection of Highway 43 and Fairford Road (GPS coordinates 31.155395, -88.010503). The church and its cemetery were listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage (ARLH) on December, 16, 2010. Located in front of the church is a historical marker that provides brief details about the church’s history. Below is the text on this marker:
CALVERT UNITED METHODIST & CEMETERY
Calvert Methodist Episcopal Church South first organized in a community building used for a school. In 1889, Francis A. and Edna Webb donated this property for a church, and the congregation built this building in the same year. The church uses a bell originally part of Fairford United Methodist Church. The Fairford Church burned in 1895, but the bronze bell survived and was preserved in a creek. This church acquired the bell and installed it in the bell tower. The three branches of the Methodist Church merged in 1939 and this church became known as Calvert United Methodist Church. First Baptist Church met in this building from 1913-1920. Calvert Methodist Church also helped Calvert Church of the Nazarene organize. Many people contributed to improving the church building through the years, with the latest restoration completed in 2010. The church installed beautiful stained glass windows in 1994. Many veterans are buried in the church cemetery. The first veteran buried here was Walter L. McRae. 1st Lt. Co. B56 Alabama cavalry CSA.
LISTED IN THE ALABAMA REGISTER OF LANDMARKS AND HERITAGE
MARKER ERECTED IN 2014