The C.S. Golden House, also known as the Leonard and Ellie Crain House, is one of the oldest homes in Thomaston. This Queen Anne-style home was built in 1898 by Cecil Stanford Golden who was the son of a wealthy foundry owner in Columbus, GA. As a young man, Golden came to Marengo County for a summer visit to relatives where he met and married Mary Louise Buck, daughter of John Wesley and Martha Buchannon Buck. According to family members, Golden built this house for his bride.
Distinguishing features of this house include multiple roofs including a “mini-turret” over one of the facade bays and a wraparound porch with heavy turned posts, connecting spandrels made up of spindles and rails, and a balustrade of milled rails and turned spindles.
This home was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on August 31, 2000 due to its outstanding vernacular Queen Anne cottage architecture. It is located at 540 Seventh Avenue on the north side of Thomaston, AL (GPS coordinates 32.273553, -87.622770).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Source: NRHP “C. S. Golden House” Registration Form.