It is believed that this house was built for Jehu Bates and his wife, Janet Barnes Bates. Jehu bought the property in 1833 and sold it after his wife died in 1851 to George W. and Mary L. Barney. This property included over 5,000 acres of land.
When the Barneys purchased the Jehu Bates property, they owned and lived in a home located a short distance to the south near the Putnam Cemetery. After this home burned, they moved into the old Jehu Bates house which by this time was known locally as Barney’s Upper Place. One unusual feature of this house is the outside staircase to the second floor.
This house is located in the community of Putnam in southwest Marengo County on Barneys Upper Road near the intersection of Barneys Upper Road and Highway 69 (32°01’27.2″N 88°01’55.6″W – Google Maps).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Source: The Heritage of Marengo County, Alabama, prepared by The Marengo County Heritage Book Committee.