Advanced Search

Close Search

Washington County State Public Lake (or Emmet Wood Lake) near Millry, AL

The Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division, Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, manages 23 public lakes in 20 counties throughout Alabama.  One of these is the 84-acre Washington County State Public Lake, or Emmet Wood Lake, located near Millry, AL.  This is a well maintained public facility that offers the perfect opportunity for fishing and other outdoor activities including walking, birding, and picnicking.  Concessions available at the lake include a wide variety of fishing tackle, live and artificial baits, and other fishing supplies, as well as drinks and refreshments. The lake has a fishing pier that makes it easy to fish deep water if you do not have a boat. There is a launching ramp for fishermen with their own boat.  Boats may have an outboard motor attached but it cannot be used in the lake, only the trolling motor can be used. Boats are also available for rent. Picnic pavilions are also available. Washington County State Public Lake has both primitive camping and RV spaces available. The lake is a featured Piney Woods birding site on the Alabama Birding Trails.

Washington County State Public Lake is located 2 miles west of Millry, AL (GPS coordinates N31.621889,W88.345417). Call the lake manager at 251-846-2512 for details about the operation of the lake and for current schedules.

Source: www.outdooralabama.com

5/23/14

 

*******************

CLICK HERE to access additional historic & interesting places in rural SW Alabama.

*******************

 

Similar Attractions

“Washington County” Historical Marker at Chatom, AL

This historical marker is located in front of the Washington County courthouse at Chatom, AL (GPS coordinates N31.465752,W88.256248). This marker provides details about Washington County which is the oldest established county in the state of Alabama, and originally included much of both the states of Alabama and Mississippi. Following is the inscription on the marker: […]

More Info

Andrews Chapel at McIntosh, AL (ca. 1860)

Andrews Chapel, also known as the McIntosh Log Church, is one of the few remaining log churches in Alabama.  In 1860, John C. Rush and his wife donated land for the church to the McIntosh Community.  Shortly afterwards, the church was constructed and named for James O. Andrews, a bishop in the Methodist Church.  The […]

More Info

Washington County Museum at Chatom, AL

The Museum is located in Chatom, AL in the basement of the Washington County Courthouse. It contains artifacts that depict the history of Washington County, the first county in Alabama. Access to the museum is stairs or elevator.  For additional details about this museum, go to Facebook.com/WashingtonCounty. The Washington County Courthouse is located at downtown […]

More Info