This beautiful antebellum home was constructed circa 1855 for Col. Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus DeYampert as a gift to his daughter, Julia, and her husband, John Henry Young Webb. It is a two-story structure that contains a hipped roof with heavily bracketed cornice. The front of the house has a full portico supported by six large square masonry columns that extend the full height of the house. A balcony is centered above the front double-door entrance. This house was photographed and recorded in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) in 1935. It is a contributing property to the Greensboro Historic District that listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).
The Webb-Bonds House is located at 504 Main Street in Greensboro (GPS coordinates 32.704165,-87.586158).
This is a private residence – drive by only. The house is on a large wooded lot and you get only glimpses of it from Main Street.
Sources: 1) The Alabama Catalog; Historic American Buildings Survey; A Guide to the Early Architecture of the State by Robert Gamble; 2) NRHP “Greensboro Historic District” Registration Form.
B&W photograph courtesy US Library of Congress (HABS), Protographer: Alex Bush, date: April 10, 1935.
Note: This house is featured site #65, Webb-Bonds-Mayfield House, on the Greensboro Historic Walking Tour. Tour brochures are available at a tourism kiosk that located on the southeast corner of Main and Beacon Streets at downtown Greensboro.