This house was built ca. 1898 by Greensboro’s most prolific builder of the 1890s and early 1900s, John Straiton. It is one of the most imposing Queen Anne style dwellings in the county. The three-story corner tower with an onion-shaped dome dominates the 2 1/2 story house. The porch, complete with a conical-roofed gazebo, wraps around the front and east side of the house.
This house is a contributing property to the Greensboro Historic District that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located at 1804 Main Street in Greensboro (GPS coordinates 32.70445,-87.599386).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) NRHP “Greensboro Historic District” Registration Form; 2) Hale County Alabama, An Inventory of Significant and Historic Resources.
Photograph courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.
Note: This house (identified as the Ward-DeWitt-Cross House) is site #50 on the Greensboro Historic Walking Tour. Tour brochures are available at a tourism kiosk that’s located on the SE corner of Main and Beacon Streets at downtown Greensboro.