This Victorian-style home was built prior to 1884 by Moses and Flora Marx on a lot they purchased in June 1879. An affluent Jewish family, they owned a large dry goods store and a millinery shop. The home was later occupied by the Julius Marx family. The house got its name from their daughter, Violet. It’s told that one of the Marx’s daughters was married across the street at the Methodist Church and that red matting was spread from the house to the church for use with the wedding party. The Marx family owned the home until 1943.
This house has two front facing gables and one side gable that are decorated with diamond and scalloped shingles. On the front is a projecting bay window with a flat roof with decorative ironwork. The porches have decorative turned posts, arched bracket work, and banisters. All eaves have decorative barge-boards. The windows have label molds above them.
This house is a contributing property to the Uniontown Historic District that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located on Water Avenue at the intersection of Water Avenue and North Street near downtown Uniontown (32.452567,-87.51415 – Google Maps).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) NRHP Uniontown Historic District” Registration Form; 2) Perry County Heritage, Volume II