This church is located in southeast Marengo County in the community of Vineland. It was organized on September 12, 1912 with 29 charter members. The church was established as a memorial to Thomas William Smyly (June 11, 1887 June 22, 1912), son of William Joseph Smyly, who died from typhoid fever soon after graduating from divinity school at Howard College (now Samford University). The land where the building is located belonged to Joseph Elias Smyly (1835-1918), grandfather of Thomas William Smyly. It was originally a cotton field. According to several old-timers, the bell in the belfry was Joseph Elias Smyly’s old plantation bell.
The major carpentry work on the building was done by two brothers, originally from Packers Bend in Monroe County, who were living in Thomaston at the time of construction. They were Jacob Rhoads Green (1888-1952) and Sim Lombreecht Green (1887-1929). The church was finished and dedicated on October 5, 1913.
The church’s first pastor, the Rev. Luther Elza Smith (March 31 1870 – October 12, 1913), died from tetanus just a week after conducting the church dedication. He was buried in his original hometown of Prospect, Ohio.
This church is located approximately 0.4 mile west of the intersection of Hwy 10 and Hwy 25 at Vineland. From the intersection, travel west on Hwy 10 approximate 0.2 mile and turn left oh CR 55. This church is located approximately 0.2 mile ahead on the right.
GPS coordinates of Church 32.034837, -87.665191).
Source: History of the Vineland Baptist Church (prepared for 100th-Year Church Anniversary).
Photographs taken March 10, 2016.