This Greek Revival building is one of Selma’s most historic. It was built in 1847 by Selma’s Masonic Lodge #27 as a school for orphans and children of Masons. Through the years, it has also served as a Confederate hospital, the Dallas County Courthouse, a military school, and the Vaughan Memorial Hospital. The building was renovated in 1969 and reopened formally in 1971 as a museum and conference center. The museum houses an extensive collection of Civil War memorabilia and exhibits of medical and political artifacts. It displays beautiful Victorian antiques, nationally acclaimed art from local artists, antique documents, military memorabilia and uniforms, and medical equipment. The building has meeting rooms that are available for clubs and civic groups, and parlors for social events.
This building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 20, 1975, due to its architectural and historical significance. It is located at 109 Union Street in Selma, AL (GPS coordinates N32.405333,W87.025667).