This Methodist congregation was organized circa 1837. The church absorbed the congregation from nearby Childers Chapel when it burned in 1842. The Methodist congregation from Childers Chapel traces their beginning to circa 1819.
The contract for the present church building was awarded on October 23, 1844, and the building was dedicated on October 5, 1845. It is a 1-story, Greek Revival structure with a simple interior. The church has been altered little since it was constructed.
This church was photographed and recorded in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) on March 23, 1934. It is a contributing property to the Summerfield Historic District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on March 1, 1982.
The Summerfield Methodist Church is located approximately six miles north of Highway 80 at Selma in the historic community of Summerfield (GPS coordinates 32.516053, -87.041263).
Sources: 1) NRHP “Summerfield District” Registration Form; 2) “Summerfield Methodist Church” Historical Marker; 3) “Childers Chapel” Historical Marker (erected at the cemetery where Childers Chapel was located).
B&W photograph courtesy of the U. S. Library of Congress (HABS), photographer: W. N. Manning, date: March 23, 1934.