This and the Moses Lewis house may the oldest surviving two-story dwellings in Gainesville. The restrained Federal style appearance of the house suggests that it may also have been built during the 1830s prior to the town’s more elaborate Greek Revival-style dwellings. It is believed that the Stein family, who were among the early Jewish settlers of Gainesville, built this house. In 1867, the house was purchased by Nimrod Garland Garth from Albemarle County, Virginia. It remained in the Garth family until 1988.
This house is a contributing property to the Gainesville Historic District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on October 3, 1985. It is located on the northwest corner of Webster and Pearl Streets in Gainesville (GPS coordinates 32.818706,-88.161003).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) Gainesville, Alabama Tour Guide; 2) NRHP “Gainesville Historic District” Document; 3) NRHP “Gainesville, Alabama MRA” Document
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.