This home was built between 1901 and 1904 for Probate Judge Nicholas James Stallworth (1834-1911). It is thought that the house was built by a contractor from Brewton, AL who built several homes in Monroeville during the 1900-1920 time period, most having the characteristic turret on the front.
Nicholas James Stallworth was a Civil War veteran, a farmer, and a merchant. He operated a store, grist mill and sawmill. Stallworth represented Monroe County in the Legislature from 1886 to 1900. In 1892, he was elected for six two-year terms as Probate Judge of Monroe County. Shortly before his death, Judge Stallworth sold his house to his daughter, Mary Ellen Stallworth Hare, and her husband, Francis Williams Hare. Francis Williams Hare was a Spanish war veteran, a prominent Monroeville attorney, and he served a term in the Legislature beginning in 1919. He then served as Circuit Judge of the 21st Judicial District from 1928 until his death in 1952. Their son, Francis Williams Hare, Jr., and his family now reside in this house. Francis Williams Hare, Jr. is a retired Monroeville attorney, a World War II veteran, and a former State Representative.
This home is featured on the “Walk Monroeville” tour. It is located at 177 Pineville Road near downtown Monroeville (GPS coordinates 31.528658,-87.322018).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Source: “Walk Monroeville” Visitor’s Brochure, published by the Monroeville/Monroe County Chamber of Commerce.