Originally a two-story brick building. this structure had a major renovation in 1905. Ceramic tile was applied over the former brick façade, and the ceiling of the first floor was opened to the second floor creating an oval shaped balcony overlooking the main floor below. During mid-20th century the building housed Goldblatt’s, a women’s clothing store run by Rose Goldblatt Bloom and later her sister, Millie. Then circa 1980 Wild Horse Western Wear operated here. The last business to occupy the building was Marybelle Webb’s Odds and Ends. By 2011, the building was near ruins with the roof and floor falling in. Hunter Lewis engaged Gayle Rayfield to restore the structure. Now owned by the Alabama Black Belt Foundation, the Smith Building is a gallery hosting rotating exhibits and other events.
This build is a contributing property to the Marion Courthouse Square Historic District that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located at downtown Marion across the street in front of the Parry County Courthouse (GPS coordinates 32.632950,-87.319197).
Sources: 1) The 2018 Marion Historic Home Tour Brochure; 2) NRHP “Marion Courthouse Square Historic District” Registration Form.