This house is thought to have been built during the 1835-1840 time period for Walter W. Russell (1806 – 1878), who was from New Hampshire. He was one of the early Yankee settlers and merchants who came to Gainesville and built homes on Main Street (now known as “Yankee” Street). The house is Vernacular style with Federal and Greek Revival elements. This is one of the five antebellum homes that comprise the “Main (Yankee) Street” Historic District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on October 3, 1985.
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) Gainesville, Alabama Tour Guide; 2) NRHP “Main (Yankee) Street” Historic District” Document; 3) NRHP “Gainesville, Alabama MRA” Document