This is the second railroad bridge built across the Tombigbee River at Jackson. The first bridge was completed in 1888. In 1947, an order was received from the War Department for replacement of this bridge. Formal approval of all plans and drawings were received on July 8, 1948, and work began on the new bridge five days later. The new bridge was erected over the old one without interrupting traffic on the railroad except for February 7 and 8, 1950. On those two days, the old draw span was cut away and lowered onto barges in the river and the new lift span was lowered into position. On the afternoon of February 8th, the bridge was open for rail traffic. On February 11th, there was a Southern Railway Dedication at Jackson for the new bridge which included speaches and parades. Following the dedication, a 100-car train ran over the new span as an illustration of the strength of the new bridge.
This railroad bridge is located on the south side of Jackson (GPS coordinates 31.494435, -87.907064).
Source: Clarke County Historical Society Quarterly, volume 11, no. 3, winter 1987. (Copies of the Clarke County Historical Society Quarterly at available at the Clarke County Historical Museum at Grove Hill, AL or online at ClarkeMuseum.com.)
Pictures courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.