Prairie Mission, also known as Prairie Institute, was established in 1894 by the Freedmen’s Board of the United Presbyterian Church of North America, to educate children of ex-slaves. The Mission consisted of a church, school building, dormitories for male and female students, a teachers’ house, and a cemetery. The school discontinued operation in the late 1960’s. All that remains of the school campus is the school building and the church, which still has an active congregation. Prairie Mission was placed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 2001.
The old Prairie Mission school is located in Wilcox County near Highway 28 approximately three miles west of the Millers Ferry river bridge. A “Prairie Mission” historical marker is located beside Highway 28 to mark the site of the school. GPS coordinates of the marker are 32.142634, -87.432091. The old school campus is located approximately 0.3 mile up the gravel road that intersects Highway 28 at the historical marker.
Source: “Prairie Mission” Historical Marker