Pine Apple is a scenic community located on the east side of Wilcox County. The historical marker that’s shown is beside Hwy 10 on the west edge of Pine Apple, AL (GPS coordinates 31.874649, -86.995273).
Below is the inscription on the marker.
“Founded in 1825, the town of Pine Apple became a regional commercial center due to its strategic location as the end of the Selma to Pensacola Railroad line from 1871 to the 1890s. The progressive spirit of Pine Apple during the centennial period 1850 to 1950 is reflected in its historic commercial, residential, civic, educational, and religious architecture, namely the Bank of Pine Apple building, Pine Apple Water Tower and Waterworks building, Moore Academy, Matheson Community Library, Pine Apple Methodist Church and Friendship Baptist Church. Residential architecture ranges from 19th century cottages and early 20th century bungalows to more academic application of the Greek Revival, Queen Anne, and Colonial Revival styles.
In contrast to the surrounding relics of a sleepy antebellum plantation south, the historic buildings of Pine Apple spark images of a bustling Deep South mercantile and educational center at the turn of the 20th century.
In all, the Pine Apple Historic District, entered into the National Register of Historic Places on February 26, 1999, includes 73 properties from the mid-19th to the mid-20th century.
Erected 2005 by Alabama Historical Commission and by Pine Apple Promotions.”
Visit EncyclopediaOfAlabama.org/Pine_Apple for additional details about this historic community.