Peterman is a small community located about six miles northeast of Monroeville, AL. Shown is the “Peterman, Alabama” historical marker that provides details about the history of Peterman. This marker was erected in November 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Peterman. It is located on the Old Peterman Highway less than a hundred yards north of the Peterman Post Office (GPS coordinates 31.585351,-87.259347).
Following is the inscription on this historical marker:
The first settlers came to this area in 1815. Major Walker built a grist mill and a log structure was built which served as a school and a religious meeting place for three different denominations. Settlers came to clear land and build log cabins. The Buford, Rikard, Rubley, Andress, Smith, Biggs, Mosley, Chandler, Dees, Jackson, Nettles, Colgin, Helton, Roley, Daughette, Floyd, Falkenberry, Mason and Lewis families were among the early settlers. Several stores were built on the hill above the town known only as “Buford’s” for one of the store owners. In 1900, the railroad came through and the store owners decided to move their buildings down the hill to be near the railroad tracks. On moving day, with teams of oxen, the 3 or 4 store buildings were moved near the tracks. They resumed business and are still in use today (2008).
A proper name was now needed for the rail stop, and “Peterman” was selected in honor of Mr. Addison Peterman, a long-time employee of the railroad and agent at the Repton, Alabama depot. Peterman became a thriving community, boasting stores, cotton gins, warehouses, drug stores, doctor and dentist offices and a successful farm supplier/fertilizer manufacture. The depot became the center of interest in Peterman. Meeting the trains to get the daily paper from Montgomery and to see who was arriving or departing was a favorite pastime.