The Perry County Courthouse, completed in 1856, is an example of a Greek Revival Temple Architecture. Benjamin Parsons was the designer and Larkin Tarrant was the builder. Originally at the center of each side of the building were oval stair towers containing curving staircases with marble steps. The floors of the building were black and white marble from Bibb County, AL. The building was renovated in 1954. The oval stair towers were replaced with two-story wings on each side to provide more office space. The marble flooring was replaced with tile. The entire building was painted white because there was no way to match the handmade bricks that were on the original building.
Marion, AL has four Historic Districts listed on the National Register of Historic Place which contain over 70 antebellum buildings. The courthouse is included in the Marion Courthouse Square Historic District.
This courthouse is located at downtown Marion, AL (GPS coordinates N32.632944,W87.318917).
Source: Images of America, Perry County, by Eleanor C. Drake
B&W Photograph courtesy U. S. Library of Congress, Photographer: Alex Bush, Date: February 20,1935.