The old Blacksmith Shop, commonly referred to as the Red Shed, was built around 1895. The building has a simple board and batten construction. This was the shop of the blacksmith, J. Studstill. The building is built across the drainage ditch that runs through downtown Thomasville. This is one of only a few buildings that survived the 1899 and 1902 fires that destroyed most of the downtown business area of Thomasville. Burgess’ livery stable, which was located beside Studstill’s blacksmith shop, was burned in the 1902 fire and Studstill’s shop was almost lost to it.
This building is a contributing property to the Thomasville Historic District that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located on W Front Street in downtown Thomasville (31.914836,-87.735423 – Google Maps).
Source: NRHP “Thomasville Historic District” Registration Form