This is the oldest church in Newbern and one of the oldest Presbyterian Churches in this part of Alabama. The Newbern Presbyterian Church was organized in 1844 by North Carolinians who settled the area in the 1830s and the church was built in 1848. The church typifies rural church architecture of “Old South.” This building stands in near-original form: hand-hewn lumber joined with wooden pegs. The early membership included slaves who sat on benches flanking pulpit. The Newbern Presbyterian Church was recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) in 1936.
This historic church is located on the east side of Highway 61 at Newbern (GPS coordinates 32.593417,-87.532000).
Source: Newbern Presbyterian Church Historical Marker (located in front of the church)
B&W photographs courtesy of the US Library of Congress (HABS), photographer: Alex Bush, Date: July 31, 1936.