This was the only house known to have been built in this area during the Civil War. It was constructed in 1861 as a residence for Nathaniel T. Lupton, a professor of chemistry at Southern University and later the fifth president of the University of Alabama. This is a one story dwelling with a hip roof and a partial width porch with hip roof. The house has decorative Moorish arched supports and decorative bargeboard along the roof and porch eaves. The inside of the house has a central hall that extends the length of the original house and side lights around the doors at each end. The windows onto the front porch have panels that open as doors. Later additions to the house include a rear bedroom, a large dining room, and a connecting den/living room added in the 1940’s.
This house is located at 511 College Street in Greenboro (GPS coordinates 32.700841, -87.587281).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) Hale County Alabama, An Inventory of Significant and Historic Resources, by the Cahaba Trace Commission; 2) Historic Hale County, published by The Presentation Committee of the Alabama Reunion 1989.
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.
Note: This house is featured site #70, Lupton-Grote-Cobbs House, on the Greensboro Historic Walking Tour. Tour brochures are available at a tourism kiosk that located on the southeast corner of Main and Beacon Streets at downtown Greensboro.