THERE IS GLORY IN THE GRAVES, reads the inscription on the Confederate Monument that stands in the center of Selma’s Live Oak Cemetery. Visitors who stroll through the beautiful cemetery will find glory, humor and sadness in the lives of those whose stories are told here. The oldest portion of the cemetery was purchased by the Township of Selma in 1829 and named West Selma Graveyard. The newer section of the cemetery grounds was purchased in 1877 and combined with the older section to form ‘Live Oak Cemetery’. The cemetery received it’s name in 1879 when Col. N.H.R. Dawson arranged for ’80 Live Oaks and 80 Magnolias be purchased from Mobile to be planted throughout both portions of the cemetery.’ Many prominent Selmians are buried at this cemetery including U. S. Vice President William Rufus King, who was one of the founders of Selma.
Live Oak Cemetery is a contributing property to Selma’s Old Town Historic that’s on the National Register of Historic Places. It is also listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage.
This cemetery is located on Dallas Avenue approximately 0.7 miles west of downtown Selma (32°24’21.2″N 87°01’53.1″W – Google Maps). Touring maps of the cemetery are available at the Selma Welcome Center located at downtown Selma on Broad Street.
Source: “Old” Live Oaks Cemetery Tour Guide, published by the Selma – Dallas County Tourism & Convention Bureau.
Click below for a photo tour of Live Oak Cemetery.