This was the home of Moses Lewis, founder of Gainesville. Lewis was responsible for laying out the town in 1832. This house was built circa 1835 and it occupies Lot Number 1 on the original plat. It has a large hand-carved wooden staircase and two underground cisterns for storing food and water. The house is a contributing property to Gainesville’s “Yankee Street” Historic District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on October 3, 1985. It is located on the left at the east end of Yankee Street in Gainesville (32°49’22.8″N 88°09’11.1″W – Google Maps).
Sources: 1) Gainesville, Alabama Tour Guide Brochure; 2) NRHP Yankee Street Historic District Form.