This historic church is located in Marengo County between Magnolia and Lamison. Construction began on this building in 1910 and it was completed in 1913. Two elders from Utah assisted in the construction. This is the oldest surviving LDS chapel in Alabama.
This church is a one-room structure with two doors and a small bell tower on the front. It was constructed with native pine that was cut and sawed locally. The interior of the church has four-inch tongue and groove flooring and wainscoting on the lower part of the walls. The church still has a few of its original wooden-slat benches. This building has been altered very little since it was built. It originally contained wood shingles which have been replaced with metal roofing. The church no longer has the potbelly stove located in the center of the floor that was used to heat the building. Today, the building has no heating or air conditioning.
In 1972, the Magnolia congregation completed a modern brick chapel. The old chapel continues to be used for special events. It serves as a reminder of simpler times.
This church is located approximately 2.8 miles east of Magnolia. From the intersection of CR 30 and Hwy 25, travel east on CR 30 approximately 2.3 miles to the intersection of CR 36. Turn left on CR 36 and this church is located approximately 0.2 mile ahead on the left.
GPS coordinates of Church: 32.134348, -87.620474.
Sources: 1) The Heritage of Marengo County, Alabama, prepared by The Marengo County Heritage Book Committee; 2) wikipedia.org (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Alabama).
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.