The Indian Springs Baptist Church is located in north Monroe County near the McWillams community. An “Indian Springs Baptist Church” historic marker is located beside Highway 21 approximately 2.5 miles south of McWilliams (marker GPS coordinates: 31.795464, -87.093534). The church is located 1.7 miles up the gravel road that intersects Highway 21 across from the historical marker (church GPS coordinates: 31.791723, -87.117708). Shown on the map at the bottom is the location of the historical marker.
Following are the details provided on the historical marker about the church:
This sanctuary was built one mile west of this site about 1825 near springs used by local Indians. The original wood-frame building survived virtually unchanged – with no modern conveniences. An Indian Springs petitionary letter was presented to the Bethlehem Baptist Association, meeting in Monroe County, by L. W. Lindsay and A. Curry on 26 September 1834. The petition was cordially received by the association.
The newly constituted church had 22 charter members and held Sabbath meetings on third Sundays. Baptisms were held in the springs nearby which gave the church its name. For more than a century, the modest church was an inspiration as our ancestors brought forth the earth’s bounty, worshiped God and led lives of quiet dignity.
Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on 26 June 2003.