This Queen Ann style home was built between 1906 and 1920 by a contractor from Brewton, AL who built several homes in Monroeville during this time period, most having the characteristic turret on the front. The home was built by local attorney Charlie Hybart for his wife, Lucy Burns Hybart, whose father was mayor of Selma. The next owners of this home were Vernon and Dot Hendrix. Dot was the first woman from Alabama to serve in the Women’s Army Corp (WAC) and served in Eisenhower’s headquarters in North Africa during World War II. The Hybart-Hendrix Home has been renovated a number of times between 1957 and 1991. This home is featured on the “Walk Monroeville” tour. It is located at 149 Pineville Road near downtown Monroeville (GPS coordinates 31.528471,-87.322463).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Source: “Walk Monroeville” Visitor’s Brochure, published by the Monroeville/Monroe County Chamber of Commerce.
Photograph courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.