This is a Greek Revival style house with Victorian additions. It was probably built in the 1840-1850 time period. The original owner of the house is not known. This house is similar in form and arrangement to the Fall House located next door. However, it is less altered, retaining among other features, original shutters and the lowered blinds that protect the transoms above the two parallel front doors.
During the Civil War, the town of Gainesville became a Confederate hospital center to treat wounded soldiers from Shiloh, Corinth, and elsewhere. The Gainesville Academy building and the American Hotel, which were located nearby on the same street, operated jointly as the “Buckner Hospital”. The Howard-Goodloe-Bolton House was used as a temporary hospital during this time. (The Confederate Cemetery at Gainesville contains the graves of 250 Civil War soldiers who did not survive.)
The Howard-Goodloe-Bolton House is a contributing property to Gainesville’s “Main (Yankee) Street” Historic District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on October 3, 1985. It is located near the east end of Yankee Street in Gainesville (GPS coordinates 32.822428,-88.153691).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) Gainesville, Alabama Tour Guide; 2) NRHP “Main (Yankee) Street” Historic District” Document; 3) NRHP “Gainesville, Alabama MRA” Document