Dr. James A. Hildreth, son of the Revolutionary War Veteran, Reuben Hildreth, built this home. He bought the property where this home is located on May 28, 1845. The house was built by the master carpenter, Rafe Chase, well before the Civil War. A date of 1848 was found underneath a gutter when it was later removed from the house. This is a two-story house with four rooms and a hall on each floor. One room upstairs can only be accessed from a bedroom downstairs. As was the custom, the kitchen was located away from the house in case of a kitchen fire. In 1936, an El was attached to the rear of the house which included a kitchen and breakfast room. In the 1850s, baths were added to the house. In the mid-1990s, additional baths and other improvements were made to the house. The front porches upstairs and downstairs have banisters with crow-feet design supports. This home still has the original brick front walkway. Descendents of Dr. James A. Hildreth still own this home.
This house is included in the Jefferson Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Jefferson Historic District is a collection of thirteen Greek Revival buildings in the Jefferson area that reflect the pre-Civil War plantation economy of Alabama.
This home is located beside Highway 28 in Jefferson, AL across the road from the Jefferson Baptist Church (GPS coordinates N32.384582,W87.895893).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Source: 1) Wikipedia; 2) The Heritage of Marengo County Alabama published by Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc.