FURMAN NATIONAL HISTORIC DISTRICT Historical Marker at Furman, AL

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Furman, AL is a small community located is eastern Wilcox County. On May 13, 1999, the “Furman Historic District” was placed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). Shown is the “Furman National Historic District” historical marker that was erected by the Alabama Tourism Department and the Community of Furman in April 2010. This marker is located on the west side of CR 59 at the Furman Civic Club House which is approximately 0.3 mile south of the intersection of Hwy 21 & CR 59 at Furman, AL (GPS coordinates 32.00019,-86.96246). The historical marker provides details about the Furman Historic District that’s on the NRHP.

Below is the inscription on the maker:

———-

Side One
Furman National Historic District:
Representing 10,300 acres with 73 buildings, and 14 structures, the Furman Historic District, encompassing Old Snow Hill Road, Wilcox County Road 59, Burson Road, and AL 21, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 13, 1999. The town’s history began circa 1802 when the first settlers came to the area from South Carolina. Most of the Wilcox County towns, including Furman, were settled by Scottish, Irish, and English, however, some of the early settlers of Furman also came from the South Carolina low country and were of French ancestry. In the early 1800s, the William Snow family settled on a high hill north of present-day Furman, now the site of Old Snow Hill Cemetery. Thus the early community was known as Snow’s Hill. It was renamed Furman in 1872 after the town of Furman, South Carolina. A new community was founded a few miles to the west and named Snow Hill. Furman Academy was a popular school in the late 1800s with students from across the state.

Side Two:
Furman National Historic District:
Most of the earliest settlers came from the Carolinas. Family groups included, among others, the Albrittons, Carters, Lees, Palmers, Purifoys, Gulleys, McCondiches, Bursons, Hearsts, Stablers, Powells, and the Simpsons after the Civil War. The town’s most notable citizens have included persons such as Elkanah Burson, an attache to General Robert E. Lee and John Purifoy, a member of Company C who later served Alabama as Secretary of State. Mr. Burson, an original member of the Wilcox True Blues Company, delivered the Confederacy surrender papers to General Ulysses Grant at Appomattox. He returned home to Furman and later served in the Alabama House of Representatives. Direct descendants of these original settlers have continued to own homes and property in Furman. Landmarks include Trails End, Patience Plantation, Wakefield Plantation, Fox Hill Plantation, Palmer- Barlow-Britt Home, McCondiche-Stabler Home, Purifoy-Libscomb Home, Perdue-Williams-Estes Home, Watson-Moorer Home, Burson- Rushing Home, Robbins-Kennedy Home, Bethsaida Baptist Church, Furman Methodist Church, and Hopewell Church.

———-

My location
Get Directions

Tags: , , , ,