This marker is located about 2 miles west of Perdue Hill in Monroe County on the south side of U.S. Highway 84 near the intersection of Lena Landegger Highway/Grain Elevator Road (GPS coordinates 31.541358, -87.512957). It’s on the east side of the Alabama River approximately 0.5 mile from the river bridge. This marker was erected by the Alabama Historical Association in 1970. Below is the text on this marker:
—– 0 —–
Creek Indian War 1813-1814
Built by Gen. Ferdinand L. Claiborne as a base for his invasion of the Alibamo country with U.S. Regulars, Lower Tombigbee Militia, and friendly Choctaws. Claiborne’s campaign culminated in the American victory over the Creeks at the Holy Ground.”
—– 0 —–
For additional details about Gen. Ferdinand L. Claiborne and his involvement in the Creek War of 1813-1814, visit EncyclopediaOfAlabama.org/Ferdinand_Claiborne.
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.