The first mention of an organized Methodist Church in St. Stephens was 1856 and this church was constructed in 1857. Land for the church was given by Levin Jefferson Wilson and his wife Elizabeth. A $500 contract for the church building was awarded to L. J. Wilson on April 7, 1857. The main sanctuary of this church is the original structure. Classrooms have been added to the sides and rear. The church was listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks & Heritage (ARLH) on March 25, 1976.
This church is located at downtown St. Stephens near the post office (GPS coordinates 31.540861,-88.055278).
Source: ARLH “St. Stephens Methodist Church” Nomination Form.