On January 2, 1944, the State of Alabama granted Hunt Oil Company a permit to drill the A. R. Jackson Well No. 1 at Gilbertown, AL. Hunt Oil Company was owned by the famous oil man, H. L. Hunt of Dallas, Texas. The drilling commenced on January 10, 1944, and oil was struck approximately one month later at 2580 feet in fractured Selma chalk. The discovery of this well led to the creation of the State Oil and Gas Board of Alabama in 1945, and to the development and growth of the petroleum industry in Alabama.
This oil well was about two miles southwest of downtown Gilbertown, AL on the Paragon Road. The GPS coordinates of this well are 31.869273, -88.351424. This location is shown on the map. The only thing present at the site today is the concrete foundation of the oil well and a Historic Marker. There is an old Hunt oil rig at the Town Park in downtown Gilbertown that is similar to the one that struck oil.
Captions on the pictures that are included provide additional details.
Source: First Oil Well In Alabama Historic Marker.