This Victorian farmhouse was designed by renowned Knoxville architect, George F. Barber, and it is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. The house has seven bedrooms, three full baths, and six fireplaces. The exterior is wood frame construction with gables and dormers trimmed with late Victorian gingerbread; some cornices are boxed and pedimented. Tongue-and-groove porches encircle over half of the 5000 square foot home.
This home was built in 1895 by newlyweds, John and Pink Dunaway. John Dunaway was one of the town’s most prominent citizens who owned a large mercantile store, the Orrville bank and 5000 acres of pecans. He was also a state representative and is credited with bringing telephone service to the town of Orrville.
The Dunaway Home is a “cottage” design by George Barber. The home was a complete departure from building designs of the area at this time. It was the first of three Barber Homes built in Orrville. The home was featured on page 185 in the May 1896 issue of American Homes magazine, published by George F. Barber.
This home is located on Academy Street in Orrville (GPS coordinates 32.3044,-87.244149)
This is a private residence – drive by only.