This Greek Revival house was built about 1833 by William S. Craig. It has outside chimneys and double doors with sidelights. The small porch at the front has two classical columns. The main part of the house remains as it was when built. In 1853, A. M. Sherrill bought the place and farmed with 41 slaves. He came from New England where he had been a school teacher. Sherrill built a log school in the yard near the house where he instructed children from the surrounding farms. The log school was torn down in 1925. Mr. and Mrs. Edward Shivers bought the property in 1929. They did extensive repairs on the house but did not alter its style.
This house is a is located on the south side of AL Hwy 14 approximately 4.5 miles west Marion near the intersection of AL Hwy 14 and Charlie James Road. (GPS coordinates 32.654561, -87.382544).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Source: Perry County Heritage, Volume II, prepared by The Book Committee and Friends of the Perry County Historical and Preservation Society.
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.