This two-story, plantation home was built circa 1850. The house design is attributed to local builder William T. Mathews. This house has an unusual style for plantation houses of the antebellum period. One of the unusual features of the house is Its umbrella-type hipped roof that deeply overhangs the upper story and extends over a broad wraparound porch on the front and sides. The porch is supported by slender widely spaced columns on brick pedestals (square outer columns and octagonal inner columns). On the front of the house is a gable with a wide segmental arch that frames a balcony located on the second floor. An ell was added to the northwest rear of the house around 1900. The house was renovated and restored beginning in 1979. This house was recorded in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) in 1937. It is featured in The Alabama Catalog, A Guide to the Early Architecture of the State, by Robert Gamble.
The Capell-Huff House is located on the west side of Ala Hwy 41 approximately 5.6 miles southwest of Camden, AL in the community of Pebble Hill ( 31°56’08.6″N 87°20’51.6″W – Google Maps).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Source: The Alabama Catalog, A Guide to the Early Architecture of the State by Robert Gamble.
B&W photographs courtesy U. S. Library of Congress (HABS), photographer: Alex Bush, date: January 8, 1937.