Built by Dr. John A. McKinnon circa 1880, this house takes its name from the Berry family who was a longtime resident. The grillwork on this house is exceptional and was made in Selma’s foundry. The pioneering female photographer, Frances Benjamin Johnston (1864-1952), photographed the Berry House in 1939 as part of her documentation of early American buildings and gardens called the Carnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South (CSAS) which was donated to the Library of Congress for public use. This building is a contributing property to Selma’s “Old Town Historic District” that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located at 900 Alabama Avenue at downtown Selma (GPS coordinates 32.406854,-87.021569).
Sources: 1) NRHP “Old Town Historic District” Registration Form; 2) Selma’s Architecture and History Tour (A Self-Guided Driving Tour).