The Beaver Creek Baptist Church congregation was organized in 1885 and their first services were held in the Pope schoolhouse which was located a short distance southwest of the present church site. The present church building was completed in 1894. It began as a one-room structure that had three doors, two on the front and one on the side, and three posts in the center of the building for support. In 1931, the building received its first coat of paint. During the mid-1940s, the front of the church was changed from two doors and steps to one door, steps, and a porch and the door on the side was removed. Electricity and lights were installed in 1948 soon after electricity was run through the community of Beaver Creek. In 1949, the wood shingles on the church were replaced with tin roofing. In 1952 and 1958, Sunday School rooms were added to the back of the church building. During a remodeling in 1959, the three posts in the center of the auditorium were removed. The congregation added a cemetery to the church grounds in the 1960s. The first burial in the cemetery was in 1967. A steeple was added to the building during the early 1970s. In 1992, a separate fellowship building was built. Other upgrades of the church during the years include installation of bathrooms, heating and air conditioning and the addition of a baptistery.
The Beaver Creek Baptist Church is still an active community church with weekly services. Memorial services are observed each year on the first Sunday of June. This church is located in south Marengo County in the community of Beaver Creek (GPS coordinates 32.171577, -87.880162).
Sources: 1) History of the Beaver Creek Church (provided by church staff); 2) The Heritage of Marengo County, Alabama, prepared by The Marengo County Heritage Book Committee.
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.