Altwood is a historic plantation house located approximately six miles southwest of Faunsdale. It was built circa 1836 by Richard H. Adams. It began as a log dogtrot house and was then expanded until it resembled a “Tidewater cottage” style house. Brought to the early Alabama frontier by settlers from the Tidewater and Piedmont regions of Virginia, this vernacular house-type is usually a story-and-a-half in height, displays strict symmetry, and is characterized by prominent end chimneys flanking a steeply pitched longitudinal gable roof that is often pierced by dormer windows.
This house was moved to Cedar Crest Farms in 1988 and restored by members of the Rankin family. It was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on February 19, 1988 and to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on July 13, 1993 as a part of the Plantation Houses of the Alabama Canebrake and Their Associated Outbuildings multiple property submission.
This home is located southwest of Faunsdale, AL on Cedarcrest Ln, approximately 1.2 mile from the intersection of Cedarcrest Ln. and CR 51 (GPS coordinates 32.425222,-87.681361).
This is a private residence. It is located at the end of Cedarcrest Ln.