Advanced Search

Close Search

Airmount Grave Shelter near Thomasville, AL (1853)

The Airmount Grave Shelter, also known as the Hope Family Grave Shelter, is a Greek Revival structure located in the Airmount Cemetery near Thomasville, Alabama. It was built in 1853 by John Hope.  The unusual splayed eaves and vaulted, or “compass” interior ceiling, of this grave shelter can be traced to Eastern Seaboard church yards in Delaware and Virginia.  This is believed to be the only grave shelter of its type in Alabama. The shelter covers graves of six members of the John Hope family.  The shelter was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 24, 2000 as a part of the Clarke County Multiple Property Submission.  In 2009, Hope Family Properties deeded this grave shelter and cemetery to the Clarke County Historical Society.

The Airmount Grave Shelter is located on the left side of Hwy 5 approximately 5 miles north of the intersection of Hwy 5 & Hwy 43 at Thomasville, AL (GPS coordinates: N31.968889,W87.669750).

Sources: 1) Wikipedia; 2) The Airmount Grave Shelter And Cemetery Historical Marker (located at the cemetery).

 

 

*******************

CLICK HERE to access additional historic & interesting places in rural SW Alabama.

Similar Attractions

Jim Folsom Bridge at Coffeeville, AL

This is a steel through arch style bridge that’s over the Tombigbee River on US 84 in Coffeeville, AL. The bridge was completed in 1958 and is named for former Alabama Gov. Jim Folsom Sr. Date Posted: 4/17/10  

More Info

Lustron All-Steel Homes at Jackson, AL (the J. P. McKee and the Doit W. McClellan Homes)

Lustron homes are prefabricated, enameled-steel houses developed in response to the shortage of housing for GI’s returning from World War II.  They were constructed entirely of metal. These homes contain enamel-coated exterior walls and roofing, steel framing and metal-paneled interior walls and ceiling. Lustron homes included built-in features such as bookcases, vanities, china cabinets, and […]

More Info

“Whatley, Alabama” Historical Marker at Whatley, AL

This historical marker is located on Main Street in front of the Horeb Baptist Church at Whatley (GPS coordinates 31.650388,-87.711215). Following is the inscription on the marker: ———- Whatley, Alabama Originally home of Creek and Choctaw Indians, Whatley was first settled by pioneers about 1808. Some of the most famous events in Clarke County’s history […]

More Info