The United Methodist Church has been serving the Livingston community since 1834 when they began worshipping in the Sumter County Courthouse as the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1837, the church congregation contracted carpenters to build a church building on Church Street facing South Street near Myrtlewood Cemetery. In 1885, they approved the purchase of property for the construction of a new church. The lot on the corner of Washington and Madison Streets was purchased and the present Victorian Gothic church building was constructed. The first service in this church was September 28, 1890.
There have been few changes to this building since its construction. The seating was changed from individual theater type chairs to pews. The folding doors on each side of the sanctuary replaced glass windows that were raised when more space was needed. The Communion ware that is used today dates back to around 1845.
This church is located at the intersection of Washington and Madison Streets in in Livingston (32°34’54.7″N 88°11’22.4″W – Google Maps).