This building was constructed as a hotel between 1903 & 1910. It marked the era of the beginning of automobile travel in Conecuh County and the period when tourism was significant in Evergreen. This is the only original hotel building that remains in the downtown district. It has served as a hotel, a boarding house and private residence. Based on a 1909 advertisement, it was comprised of 12 rooms beside kitchen/dining facilities, screened, and within 100 yards of the central depot, reasonable terms.
This building is a contributing property to the New Evergreen Commercial Historic District that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located on Desplouse Street near downtown Evergreen (GPS coordinates 31.432379, -86.954327).
Source: Sherry Johnston (Genealogist/Historian Evergreen-Conecuh Co. Public Library)
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.