This home was constructed by Cadwallader Beale circa 1883. Beale operated the Evergreen Hotel which was located on corner of West Front and Rural Streets. He sold the house to Dr. Charles T. Taliaferro, a surgeon in the Civil War; who had a medical practice in Evergreen and operated one of the first pharmacies in the town. Originally, the house was a 2-story Victorian structure, having a two-tiered porch and banisters on the 2nd level. In 1912, the house was remodeled to its present Neo-Classical style by architect Frank Lockwood, who designed the south wing of our State Capitol, as well as other structures on the UA Campus, Huntingdon College, Andalusia, and Evergreen.
This house is located at the corner of Belleville & Bruner Avenue in Evergreen (GPS coordinates 31.430869, -86.955847).
This ia a private residence – drive by only.
Source: Sherry Johnston (Genealogist/ Historian Evergreen-Conecuh Co. Public Library)