The railroad started running through Pine Hill, AL in 1888. Pine Hill’s original depot was destroyed in 1896 when a train jumped track and crashed into the building. A new depot was built in 1905 at a cost of $2096. This depot was used until 1989 when taken out of service. At that time, Norfolk Southern made it and a caboose available to the Town of Pine Hill. The depot and caboose were moved to their present site. In 1997, the Town of Pine Hill received an ISTEA Grant of $105,000 administered by the Alabama Department of Transportation for renovation of the depot, which was completed in 1999. The depot is now used as a museum to preserve the history of Pine Hill and surrounding communities.
The Pine Hill Depot Museum is located in Pine Hill’s Town Park which is on Oak Grove Street (GPS coordinates 31.989139,-87.590417).
Photographs taken April 14, 2010.