This building is located on its original site at Perdue Hill and was built around 1875 as a doctor’s office. Dr. J. L. Sowell was the last doctor known to have his office in this building. The building was enlarged in 1927-1928 for use as a store by William S. Moore, a prominent businessman of Perdue Hill. The building was donated to the Perdue Hill/Claiborne Historic Preservation Foundation in 1987 by Mrs. T. Wills Moore of Monroeville, AL. This building is a good example of nineteenth century commercial architecture in rural Alabama and particularly the general country store which was for years a common site throughout the South.
This building is located beside Highway 84 at the intersection of Highway 84 and County Road 1 at Perdue Hill (GPS coordinates 31.516833,-87.496389).
Source: The Perdue Hill/Claiborne Historic Preservation Foundation, Inc.