This beautiful antebellum home was built circa 1845 for Col. Green G. Mobley from Fairfield District, SC and his Vermont-born second wife, Henrietta. Four fluted Ionic columns support its three-bay portico with the middle two supporting a second floor balcony. A denticulated cornice is carried completely around the house. The Mobley house is the most imposing surviving antebellum mansion in Gainesville, a town noted for its antebellum homes.
The Col. Green G. Mobley House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on January 18, 1982. It is also a contributing property to the Gainesville Historic District that was added to the NRHP on October 3, 1985. This home is located on the southeast corner of Pearl and Webster Streets in Gainesville (32°49’05.6″N 88°09’38.5″W – Google Maps).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) Gainesville, Alabama Tour Guide; 2) NRHP “Colonel Green G. Mobley House (or common The Magnolia)” Nomination Form; 3) TourSumterCounty.com/Gainesville-Alabama.