The Harmony Club is a Renaissance Revival three-story commercial building with a cast iron storefront. It was built in 1909 as a social club by Selma’s Jewish community. The club featured a restaurant, men’s lounge and huge ballroom. While the first floor was rented to retail businesses, the second floor featured the restaurant and lounge. The lounge, where members played pool, poker and slot machines, was off limits to their wives, but everyone was welcome on the third floor where many dances and parties were held in the ballroom. The Elks Club occupied the building from the 1930s until 1960. David Hurlbut, an industrial designer and architectural consultant from Atlanta, purchased the building in 1999 after it had been vacant for 40 years and began renovation of it. The Harmony Club is a work in progress.
The Harmony Club is a contributing property to Selma’s “Water Avenue Historic District” that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located at 1007 Water Avenue in downtown Selma (GPS coordinates 32.406463, -87.019861).
For pictures of the inside of The Harmony Club building, go to HarmonyClubOfSelma.com/history.