The Evergreen Baptist Church was organized March 15, 1845. The sanctuary of the present church was constructed in a Tudor Revival style and dedicated February 2, 1908. The Education Building was completed in 1950, Groom Hall was dedicated in 1968 and the Activities Building was constructed in 1974.
The Louise Short Widows and Orphans Home was founded on Main Street under the leadership of the church’s pastor, J. W. Stewart, in 1891. It was moved to Troy in 1923 and was renamed the Alabama Baptist Children’s Home. Also, the Castleberry Baptist began as a mission of the Evergreen Baptist Church.
The Evergreen Baptist Church is located at 107 Park Street in Evergreen, AL (GPS coordinates 31.434750,-86.952056).
Source: “Evergreen Baptist Church” Historical Marker.